How We Increased the Number of Qualified Leads From 0 to 100 Per Month
Local car service center in the city of Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA. Our main goal was to attract car owners from Hendersonville and nearby cities.
The Challenge: to Establish Customer Flow to the Car Service Center Using Google Ads
At the time of entering the project, ad campaigns were already launched in the Google Ads account and worked for 1.5 months.
There were 3 campaigns:
- Search SKAG campaign for common keys (car mechanic, car service, etc.).
- Smart campaign.
- Performance Max campaign with minimal assets: 2 images, 1 logo, 5 headlines, 5 long headlines and 3 descriptions. Only interest-based audiences were used in the audience signals.
The conversion column contained some data. However, upon closer analysis, it became clear that the vast majority of these conversions were micro conversions. The campaigns counted phone number clicks, map directions, and other micro conversions. The car service center didn’t get any calls.
Call tracking was not set up on the site: data on calls from the site did not reach the advertising campaigns, although calling is the main way to contact a car service.
We set ourselves two key tasks, the solution of which, according to our expectations, could significantly improve the current result.
- We set up call tracking on the website. The specific nature of client interactions in this niche strongly justified the implementation of call tracking. Since almost all customers contact the service via phone calls, it is essential to transmit this data to effectively train advertising campaigns.
- We relaunched the ad campaign set.
- On the search campaigns side, we launched several new campaigns with a new structure. The car service provided a pool of diverse services that had different priorities and seasonality. By allocating separate campaigns for some areas of car service we solved several problems. First, we expanded the semantics through more specific queries for specific services. Second, we added the ability to more flexibly manage traffic at the level of service categories.
- On the PMax side, we launched several new campaigns with maximally filled assets. In audience signals, we also maximized the use of relevant audiences of all types. A separate PMax campaign was launched as a local campaign — with displays in Google Maps. In this campaign, we added only offline conversions as conversions for optimization. This customization allows the campaign to track route guidance on the map and other similar actions. We optimized other PMax campaigns for calls from the site and ads, so there were no map displays.
- We completely abandoned the smart campaign format.
Once all the changes were implemented, the only remaining task was standard optimization, which is an equally crucial aspect of managing advertising campaigns. We turned off ineffective keys/advertisements/advertising campaigns. We trained the strategies: we accumulated enough data (on calls from the site and from ads) on auto strategies to maximize conversions, then connected the tCPA limit and gradually reduced it, achieving a decrease in the actual cost per call.
It’s also important to note that we didn’t import all calls from the website into Google Ads, but only calls with a duration of more than 60 seconds. This solution allowed us to train campaigns only on targeted non-spam calls, as the vast majority of targeted calls lasted 60 seconds or more.
During six months, our work resulted in a substantial increase in the number of calls generated from our advertising efforts.
At the same time, the increase in calls was not due to multiple increases in the advertising budget, but due to competent work with the structure of advertising campaigns and their training. This is confirmed by the decrease in the cost of a call from $64 to $29.