18 Best Places to Sell Your Product Online in 2023 + 3 Free Powerful Places to Display and Sell Your Products Not Everyone Knows About
Over the past few years, we have seen the rapid growth of e-commerce. In 2020, only 17.8% of sales were made from online purchases. We expect that this number will reach 20.8% in 2023.
Once you decide to sell your product online, you may be overwhelmed by the number of platforms and their features. How to choose the right one?
In this article, we will take a look at the best places to sell your offerings online and learn the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
Let’s get started!
Google Free Listings
Free to use
Available in most countries
Buy on Google
Free to use
Microsoft Ads Free Product Listings
Free to use
Available in most countries
Online Marketplaces to Sell Online
Everybody knows Amazon. It’s the world’s largest online retailer where shoppers can find everything they want. Amazon retailers automatically gain credibility and trust in the eyes of customers.
- Every day a huge number of users visit the platform to shop. Such a massive customer base makes Amazon a perfect place for online selling.
- Amazon will do everything for you. Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) helps business owners sell their products by providing storage, packaging and shipping assistance.
- Consumers trust Amazon. Investor’s survey revealed that the marketplace ranks first with a Trust Index score of 71.5 percent.
- The opportunity to ship to over 100 countries worldwide allows sellers to expand globally.
- Thanks to the platform’s functionality, it’s easy for merchants to manage pricing, shipping rules, product catalogue, rates and inventory.
- To boost product visibility and sales on the platform, sellers can start using Amazon PPC ads.
- Huge competition is the main obstacle for new businesses. To be successful, you need to stand out from the crowd and create an outstanding strategy.
- There is no integration with shopping cart systems. Merchants who sell on different channels need to take care of managing orders and keeping their stock status up to date.
Check out the video below on how to start a store on Amazon and learn how create a seller account:
If you’re struggling to choose between ACoS and ROAS as a metric for assessing your Amazon ad campaigns, take a look at our article “ACoS vs ROAS” for guidance.
|Plans||Start from $0.99 / item sold|
|Referral fees||Referral fees vary by category. Start from $0.30 per item sold|
|Fulfilment fees||FBA fulfilment fees start from $2.47 per unit|
|Storage fees||Start from $0.48 per cubic foot|
Amazon offers several optional programs, so there may be additional selling expenses for merchants.
Considering all the above, Amazon deserves to remain the best e-commerce platform in 2023. But it may not be a good choice for beginners unless they sell unique or niche items. In this case, competition is not high and merchants have a chance to succeed.
If you already have an online store on Amazon, scale your business with our Amazon PPC Management.
2. Walmart Marketplace
Walmart Marketplace is one of the options for those who are searching for the best e-commerce platform 2023. Thousands of merchants offer different items on the platform including household necessities, electronics, toys and games and much more.
- Competition on Walmart Marketplace is not as high as on Amazon, making the platform more appropriate for beginners.
- You have an opportunity to create your own return policy since sellers manage customer service and fulfilment themselves.
- Walmart doesn’t have any inventory limitations. Sellers with a large product assortment and inventory for all of their SKUs can especially benefit from this feature.
- Walmart sellers are only required to pay a referral fee that depends on the product category. It doesn’t charge merchants monthly unlike other marketplaces (e.g. Amazon). This helps you measure how effective selling on Walmart can be for your brand.
- Shoppers can pay both with major credit cards and using alternative payment methods including AmEx Pay, Chase Pay, PayPal and Visa Cash. This decreases the shopping cart abandonment rate.
- It takes time from applying to become a seller to go live. The process can last a month or longer.
- Not so many shoppers visit Walmart, so selling on this marketplace alone might be not enough for sellers.
- Referral fees are inconsistent and sellers are charged from 6 to 20 per cent commission.
Fees vary by category. The lowest one is 6% (for personal computers)
Walmart’s slogan “Save Money. Live Better” represents the company’s aim to offer affordable prices on quality goods. The marketplace is doing everything to be the best in the industry and has some good features for sellers.
Find out how many people visit Walmart monthly in the USA and other interesting facts in our article on key e-commerce statistics.
3. Target Plus
Target Plus differs from the platforms mentioned above. It selects the brands that can list their goods on the marketplace. But the company is planning to accept partner applications in future.
- Being a seller on such a recognizable platform with a solid reputation will make your brand more popular and bring new customers.
- Online merchants shouldn’t put all eggs in one basket. Target Plus can become one of the platforms where you sell your products.
- The invite-only marketplace also means that the competition on it is not as high as on other platforms. Partners have a chance to easily increase their sales.
- Target Plus provides its partners with such benefits as in-store returns handling and a customizable storefront.
- You can get an invitation to become a seller on Target Plus if you increase your brand exposure and improve your performance on other e-commerce platforms.
- It’s an invite-only program. For now, sellers don’t have the opportunity to join the marketplace without an invitation.
- Sellers have to ship their products themselves since there is no fulfilment service on Target Plus.
- Merchants should have a physical presence in the US. Orders can be shipped only within the country.
|Referral fees||Referral fees start from 5%|
By carefully selecting third-party partners, Target Plus does everything to maintain high-quality product offerings.
eBay allows its merchants to sell their products and services worldwide. Every seller on the platform has a feedback score that shows how reliable and trusted the member is.
- The platform is known to be a popular and trusted marketplace.
- It’s quite easy and fast to become a seller. Just create your store on the web portal and start adding products.
- Selling on eBay allows you to reach a large audience. You will always find interested clients no matter what your niche is.
- You can sell not only new but also used items.
- Using the auction feature, you can sell your items for higher prices. All you need to do is to set a starting price.
- eBay charges commission fees that depend on the size of your business. There are several professional plans so that you can choose the one that best meets your needs.
- Having more than 18 sellers, eBay is a marketplace with high competition.
- Sellers cannot migrate their data from eBay to another platform.
|Store subscription||Start from $4.95 / month (billed annually)|
Every month, sellers get 250 zero insertion fee listings, or more (depends on the type of subscription)
|Final value fees||
It’s a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order
Etsy is the best choice for merchants that sell vintage and handmade items. If you are one of them, you may consider the platform as one of your priorities.
- Etsy is very easy to set up and maintain even for sellers with basic or even low-tech skills.
- The marketplace gives you an opportunity to offer your items to a wide range of potential customers.
- Etsy charges sellers low fees for listed items. You will pay only $0.20 for each one.
- The next pro of Etsy is that it provides sellers with an established payment system.
- Etsy puts much effort into supporting merchants and educating them. Moreover, the huge Etsy community is always there to give you advice.
- Platforms with huge audiences also have lots of sellers offering their items. The same goes for Etsy.
- One of the main issues that merchants face is price dumping. This is done to be competitive, but such practice may ruin businesses.
- There are not many themes to choose from.
There is an option for sellers in good standing (Etsy Plus), the fee is $10 per month
6.5% of the price sellers display for each listing plus the amount they charge for delivery and gift wrapping
|Listing||0.20 USD for each item|
There are also additional fees that depend on a seller’s situation and country.
Etsy is especially loved by those who create handmade items. What is more, new sellers get the trust of potential buyers immediately since Etsy is a well-known and reliable brand.
Simplicity and transparency are the features that come to mind when talking about Bonanza. Merchants selling toys, design items, jewelry, cosmetics and handcrafted items find this platform the perfect place for their products.
- Quick setup.
- The platform is very seller-centric — it aims to be as simple as possible for merchants.
- It’s possible to import listings from eBay, Etsy, and other shops.
- Free customer support.
- Bonanza offers easy-to-use tools that help online sellers develop their stores — Seller Stats Dashboard and the Customer Marketing Tool.
- Bonanza is not as popular as other marketplaces (e.g. Amazon or eBay), so not many shoppers are aware of it.
- Complex pricing system.
|Membership||Starts from $25 per month (billed annually)|
$0.25 per transaction (only for sellers without membership subscription)
|Final Value Fee||Starts from $0.50|
Learn more about fees on the Bonanza Pricing page.
Bonanza is considered to be a niche platform that is gaining popularity day by day. If you offer unique objects, you may want to start selling there.
7. Facebook Marketplace
Facebook is not only a social network. It also has a marketplace feature that allows you to sell and purchase items in your community.
- A small fee.
- Easy to use. You don’t need a technical background to start selling on the platform.
- Facebook has a huge audience using this social network every day. You have a chance to reach this audience.
- Facebook provides transparency. Sellers and buyers can see profiles of each other which builds more trust.
- The search results are based on location.
- Facebook doesn’t provide any guarantees for buyers.
- No warehouse. Sellers arrange the process of shipping on their own.
- Risk of being scammed.
5% per shipment. For shipments of $8.00 or less sellers pay $0.40
8. Instagram Shopping
Social media nowadays is not only a place for entertainment and chatting with friends. Instagram has become a platform for showcasing your products and generating relevant leads.
- Creating an IG shop is a fast and simple process.
- Convenient shopping experience as users don’t leave the app.
- Opportunity to promote your products with the help of influencers.
- Sellers can interact with users by posting different content (posts, stories, etc.), which will lead to more engagement and sales.
- Hashtag function that allows categorising products.
- High level of competition.
- If you post content from a business account, you become less visible to your followers since Instagram’s algorithm prioritizes posts from regular users.
5% per shipment. For shipments of $8.00 or less sellers pay $0.40
Instagram Shopping is a great way to turn your followers into customers. But you shouldn’t forget to regularly share useful and relevant content with your audience so that it stays engaged.
On craigslist, you can sell both physical and digital products.
- Craigslist has a large user base.
- Sellers don’t have to pay for listing or selling items. Fees are charged only for some categories.
- This platform is a good choice if you want to sell to customers in your area.
- Craigslist is quite an old website so it may not be very convenient to use.
- The platform is not as popular as its competitors, especially for young users.
Poshmark is a social commerce marketplace where users can buy or sell new or used clothing, shoes, accessories and more. It operates primarily in the United States, Canada, and Australia, providing a platform for fashion enthusiasts to find unique pieces or declutter their wardrobes.
- User-friendly interface, which creates a seamless experience for both buyers and sellers.
- The platform emphasizes social interactions, allowing users to follow each other, share listings, and even host virtual “Posh Parties” to feature specific items or brands.
- By facilitating the sale of second-hand items, Poshmark promotes sustainability by giving garments a second life, thereby reducing waste.
- Once an item is sold, Poshmark holds the payment until the buyer receives the item, ensuring that sellers will be paid once the transaction is complete.
- Poshmark allows sellers to offer bundle discounts for buyers purchasing multiple items, increasing the potential for higher sales.
- Poshmark primarily operates in the United States, Canada, and Australia, limiting its accessibility to users in other parts of the world.
- Although Poshmark has a strict “no returns” policy based on fit or style preference, buyers can still return items if they can prove they were misrepresented in the listing, putting the onus on sellers to provide very accurate descriptions and photos.
|Flat Commission||For all sales under $15 the commission is $2.95; for sales of $15 or more, it’s 20%|
Poshmark is a vibrant social commerce platform that caters to fashion enthusiasts looking to buy or sell clothing, shoes, and accessories. With its user-centric design and active community, it provides a unique blend of shopping and social interaction.
Macy’s, an iconic American retail chain, has expanded its reach with the introduction of its online marketplace.
- Macy’s is a well-established and trusted brand, which means sellers can benefit from its reputation and customer base when they list their products.
- Macy’s regularly promotes its online marketplace through its various channels, including the website, emails, and in-store promotions. Sellers can benefit from this extensive marketing.
- Macy’s has a stringent process for onboarding sellers, ensuring that the products on the marketplace are of high quality and authentic.
- The marketplace typically offers a structured and user-friendly interface for sellers to list and manage their products.
- Being a popular platform means that sellers face stiff competition. Standing out can be challenging, especially for new entrants.
- It’s not very easy to start selling on Macy’s. You must first register, after which you will be notified when Macy’s begins to accept applications.
The commission fee depends on the product’s category.
Macy’s Marketplace offers sellers the distinct advantage of aligning with a renowned and reputable brand. However, there can be a barrier for new sellers, as entry is neither immediate nor guaranteed.
Key Statistics of Popular Marketplaces
We have made an infographic to present the key statistics of the marketplaces:
Are you struggling to increase your e-commerce sales? You’re not alone. Many online businesses face the challenge of driving traffic and converting it into sales. However, there are proven e-commerce strategies that you can implement to boost your...
Best eCommerce Platforms and Websites
Shopify is known as an ideal online selling platform for small businesses. It is also an e-commerce content management system (CMS). The CMS makes it easy to create and edit content even if your technical skills are not excellent.
It’s the best option if you are new to establishing an online business. Affordable price and usability make the platform a good choice for both B2B and B2C. Additionally, partnering with a PPC agency for eCommerce can significantly enhance your Shopify store’s online visibility and sales performance.
- The best option for beginners. Everything you may need while creating your online store is built into the platform.
- B2B functionalities available.
- Shopify design tools and a variety of customizable themes allow you to create amazing designs for your online store.
- With multiple payment options, it is possible to sell your product to anyone around the world.
- 24/7 technical support. If you have a problem, you can communicate with the support team via live chat, email or hotline.
- Shopify content management system is great when you are getting started, but it’s not flexible enough.
- The platform doesn’t support email hosting. You need to use a third-party email hosting extension.
- Migration to another platform may be a challenge as sellers risk losing saved data. To avoid this, you should export your website as a CSV.
Check out the video on how to get started with Shopify:
|Plans||Start from $1 per month (for 3 months)|
No transaction fees for stores using Shopify Payments. For those who use a third-party payment provider, there will be additional fees of 2%, 1% or 0.5%
According to Colorlib, there are more than 800 million websites using WordPress as of 2022. WordPress is considered to be the best CMS for e-commerce.
One of the WordPress plugins — WooCommerce — is created for users who want to launch an online store.
- It’s free to install and use.
- There is no need to be a technical expert to create a professional-looking online store.
- Responsive capabilities of WordPress themes allow you to optimize a site’s performance on different devices.
- You can increase your site’s SEO potential by adding meta tags to titles, posts and images and using free plugins and extensions.
- Security is one of the benefits that users can enjoy. It’s regularly updated with security patches. Moreover, the experts monitor the platform all the time.
- WooCommerce is a plugin which means you can’t use it on sites that WordPress doesn’t host.
- Another con that follows from the fact that this is a plugin is that WooCommerce is not as advanced as other e-commerce platforms. It doesn’t support multiple storefronts as well as languages and currencies.
|Web hosting||Starts from ~ $7 monthly|
|Domain name||$15 per year|
|Transaction fees||Depend on sales volume|
WooCommerce is a plugin that turns your WordPress site into an e-commerce store and allows you to sell online. All you need to do is to install the plugin and follow the setup instructions. All the benefits listed above make it a popular choice for small businesses.
BigCommerce provides a cloud-based solution for selling digital and physical products online. Since it uses a SaaS model, you don’t need any other software to download.
BigCommerce works on a subscription-based model with four pricing plans. The Standard plan is $29.95 per month.
- The platform is suitable both for small and big businesses.
- Many features available as standard allow you to save money since there is no need to buy third-party apps.
- Sellers enjoy the opportunity to create an almost limitless number of product variants.
- BigCommerce SEO features are also worth mentioning. You can customize your title tags, meta-descriptions and URLs.
- Online and offline payment methods are available. The platform also doesn’t charge transaction fees.
- BigCommerce doesn’t provide multilingual tools. You can get this feature only using a third-party app.
- There are no email marketing tools.
- Sellers note that some options and settings are unintuitive on their location.
|Plans||Start from $29.95 per month|
|Special transaction fee rates from PayPal||For Standard plan, the fee is 2.59% + $0.49 per transaction|
BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud e-commerce platforms. Considering the number of built-in features, the platform is quite easy to manage.
Squarespace is a user-friendly e-commerce platform. It’s the best choice for those whose first priority is a great design.
- Quick and easy setup.
- No need for coding skills thanks to the drag-and-drop editor, which simplifies a site build process for you.
- Squarespace is known as one of the best builders in terms of design. It has a wide range of professional looking templates.
- You can connect your site with social media profiles (Instagram, Facebook and others), so users can buy your goods without leaving the application.
- 24/7 customer support via chat or email.
- No free plan. However, Squarespace offers a 14-day free trial.
- No offline payment options for customers.
- Merchants are allowed to sell only in one currency.
|Plans||Basic plan starts from $27 monthly (billed annually)|
|Transaction fees||0% for Commerce Basic and Commerce Advanced plans|
Squarespace provides you with numerous features and tools to create an amazing online store and grow your e-commerce business.
It’s an easy-to-use no-code website builder that offers high-quality templates to create beautiful online stores. On Wix, you can sell both physical and digital goods (e.g. eBooks, audio files).
- Setup is really quick, which is important for sellers willing to start as soon as possible.
- Intuitive and easy to use for beginners.
- Wix offers plenty of customization options.
- The platform provides merchants with advanced e-commerce solutions. For example, abandoned cart recovery feature, which aims to convert abandoned carts into sales.
- Wix allows sellers to create multilingual sites for different countries.
- Not the best option for stores with a large inventory since the storage is limited to 50 GB. Unlimited storage costs $59 per month.
|Plans||Basic plan starts from $27 paid monthly|
The fee depends on the payment method and region. For example, for debit or credit card payments in the USA it’s 2.9% of the transaction amount + 0.30 USD
Being a convenient e-commerce platform, Wix is ideal for launching small online stores.
Weebly is a great platform for small businesses on a budget.
- Building an online store on Weebly doesn’t require programming skills.
- Affordable price of the Pro plan.
- Unlimited storage.
- Limited number of templates in comparison with the competitors.
- The platform is not very SEO friendly.
- Lack of multi-channel integration. Weebly doesn’t allow online retailers to sell on social media or marketplaces.
|Plans||Start from $12 per month (billed annually)|
For those who are on the Pro plan, the transaction fee is 3%. There is no fee for the Business plan
Ecwid is a SaaS product. Ecwid was acquired by ecommerce Lightspeed and currently powers around 950,000 online stores.
You don’t need to create a new site. Using HTML, you add Ecwid’s code to your site, and after that you have a fully functional e-commerce store.
- Free plan available.
- Very user-friendly. Everything is clear and straightforward.
- Integration with most platforms.
- A wide range of customization options for your products.
- It’s GDPR compliant.
- Free plan is not good from SEO point of view. To have your product pages rank better, you need to switch to a paid plan.
- Only premium subscribers can enjoy phone support.
|Plans||Start from $0 (for up to 10 products)|
Ecwid is a perfect choice for small businesses. If you already have a website or blog, you may want to use this solution to start selling your products. As your business grows, you can upgrade your plan and get more features to grow your online store.
Key Statistics of Popular eCommerce Platforms and Websites
We have made an infographic to present the key statistics of the eCommerce platforms and websites:
Bonus: 3 E-commerce Options Not Everyone Knows About
The Lira Agency team has gained much experience working with paid advertising for e-commerce. We have noticed that not all businessmen know about such free services as Google Free Listings, Buy On Google and Microsoft Free Listings. Let’s have a look at each of them.
1. Google Free Listings
The program has become a turning point for e-commerce sellers since it allowed them to increase the discoverability of the products organically.
- Getting started with Free Listings is pretty easy.
- It’s one of the ways to significantly boost your customer reach.
- You can list your products on Google Shopping for free.
- If you have a Google Merchant Center product feed, Google will display your products on Google Search, Google’s Shopping tab, Google Images and YouTube.
- Shopping ads are eye-catching. This is what leads to more clicks and higher conversion rates.
- There is no guarantee that your product listings will appear on Google’s network. It depends on the quality of your product data and also on what users are searching for.
Google Free Listings is a feature by Google that allows you to display Shopping ads on Google Shopping for free. The program is free, which is the biggest advantage. As a merchant, you pay nothing for participation and traffic. Google Free Listings is available to all...
2. Buy on Google
If you want to sell your products directly on Google, then you should consider trying Buy on Google checkout experience.
- Zero Google comission.
- Your customers will enjoy a convenient buying journey, which will increase the credibility of your brand.
- Google provides sellers with insights detailing product competitiveness against other merchants.
- It is available for US merchants only.
The program allows sellers to reach a broader audience and boost sales even if they don’t have a website. However, today not all merchants can implement it in their selling strategy.
3. Microsoft Ads Free Product Listings
Organic product listings are also available in the Bing Shopping Tab.
In our article about Bing Free Listing, we describe how to set up Bing Product Listings and start to show your products for free in the Bing Shopping Tab.
- It’s an opportunity to show your product offers for free on the Bing Shopping Tab.
- You can attract a large number of customers which will lead to conversion rates increase.
- If you’re already a Microsoft customer, then you don’t need to take any action to participate.
- Product Listings aren’t available in all countries.
If you are planning to launch a Shopping Campaign on Microsoft Ads for your Online Store, you should know about another useful feature that you may use for free. This is Microsoft Free Product Listings. Thanks to this you can display ads with products for free. The base...
We have looked at 21 places where you can sell your products. We advise you to think carefully about which platform or service to choose and which will benefit your business the most.
You can also find helpful insights in our article on how to prepare an online store for the holiday season.
Marketing Specialist and Content Writer at Lira Agency. I enjoy creating valuable and informative content for our clients and visitors. I spend my free time reading books on marketing and psychology.